Friday, April 02, 2010

 

A Ruined Season

There is a raging wind outside and I know it is beating down the cherry blossoms who were just daring to shyly show themselves after today's rise in temperature. It has been cold. The trees had not really gone into bloom and now, what petals were there will be strewn on the ground tomorrow. I understand that the allure of sakura is all about their fleeting loveliness, that they are a symbol of flux, a reminder of the cycles in everything. Still, I had been waiting for the glory of the cherry trees to renew my faith in the magnificence that exists in this world. I needed the blossoms this year. I longed for that week of stunning splendor. As I listen to the force of the wind rattling the house and the world around, I can feel actual anger rise up in me, met with sadness. Am I mourning flowers? I will try not to read too much into the fate of the cherry trees this year, and satiate my hunger for beauty with daffodils instead.

Comments:
The next day, to my surprise, the trees were standing gorgeous and tall . . . in full bloom. As I marvelled at this fact at the annual cherry blossom viewing party with my English circle, one gentleman stated that the young blossoms are remarkably strong and resiliant. I am not sure how far I want to carry out that metaphor, however it did mean that I was able to enjoy the trees, the flowers, their refreshing beauty and now I can admire their fortitude as well.
 
Do you still think of singing "Sakura, sakura. . ." in Mrs. Strough's class?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?